Marpenoth 16, 1358 DR
Encounter 1: 2 Guardsmen
Encounter 2: 10 Cultists
-8000 gp to be smuggled by boat out of Berdusk
- It has been one month since Kole, Lynn and the Barons have been imprisoned. In the chaos that followed Volhym seizing power Reif sent urgent messages to Taenderval telling them to head for the hills. An army sent by House Jattelan was dispatched to take over the keep. Taenderval has been taken ovee by some privileged cousin of Hyval Jattelan, Margrave of the West, and all your assets (including your magical firepower) have been seized.
- There has been much turmoil in the realm. The Zhent’s have sent an army south across the Sea of Fallen Stars that has landed in Teziir. They are marching on Iriaebor. House Sull has laid siege to the Zhent fortress of Darkhold. The lords of the north that remain in power are mustering there forces to make war on the south. They will free the Margrave of the North or make the usurper pay for his treachery.
- Reif has spent much time organizing the resistance in the north by sending them critical intelligence. He has also been trying to find Kole, Lynn and the Barons. He learns that they have been spirited away to Berdusk and are being held in the dungeons under the Griffin Throne, the seat of power and ancestral home of House Mannen’krig.
- Brother Maynard has made his way from Tantras with word for Dorn Marsk. There has been a great cataclysm in Tantras. Maynard has seen a vision of Torm defending the city against Bane. In his attempt to find Dorn he has been contacted by Reif.
- Heywood, Harper Agent and ranger of the north has been in search of Lynn since she disappeared after the coup and has found Reif.
- All three are in the Brazen Manticore, a tavern frequented by the town guard, to try and gain information about the Mannen’krig dungeons. They learn of a hidden passagel, barricaded some time ago that was an escape tunnel under the old foundations of House Mannen’krig. Perhaps it could be used.
- You find the entrance to the hidden tunnel beneath an old apothecary’s shop and travel a long way under ground before you find it has been collapsed. A massive solid rock bars your path. Reif uses stone shape to cut a tunnel through the rock and you make your way beneath the castle.
- You find the old entrance guarded by two soldiers playing cards. You quickly and silently dispatch them. Making your way into the dungeons you find row upon row of cells. From the last door on the left you hear chanting and an eerie green light. You do not recognize the language spoken.
- Further down you find a dwarf and kobold chained to the walls of separate cells. You free them and the kobold tells you that the chanting is in draconic and that they are calling the dread lord Balariax back from the land of the dead.
- You silently make your way toward the chanting. You find a cavernous room. In the center of this room is the decomposed body of a red dragon. Around it are ten cloaked figures. Eerie green mist flows from them toward the dragon as they chant. You swear you see one of the great beast’s limbs move. This must be stopped. You spring to action. You attack the cultists from on high as you charge into the room. Many flee but some stay and fight. You manage to kill three of them and stop the ritual. One of the cultists had a signet ring of House Drachengyld.
- Time is running out and the garrison on its way. You quickly search the remaining cells. You find Kole Ryttermarg, in a state of feeblemind in a hidden cell and the barons in a similar state. Then you find Lynn.
- Jarl Lynn Kodhammer, first of her name, is dead. You find her body collapsed on the floor in a hidden cell. You shroud her body and carry her out as you make your way through the tunnels away from the castle.
- You make your way to the docks and negotiated smuggled passage on the river from the servants of Mask.
- You make your way north, cursing the usurper Volhym Mannen’krig.