Uktar 14-15, 1358 DR
Encounter 1: 1 Bodak in a trapped hallway
Encounter 2: 2 Umberhulks
Encounter 3: 1 Spectre while Kaldur is under the control of the ring of slaughter
300 gold pieces
50 gp topaz
50 gp topaz
1000 gp diamond
Ring of Slaughter
Jewel Encrusted Dagger
- For fourteen days following your trek across the Reaching Wood to Blackhill Motte you have labored to produce magic arms and items to aid you during the trying times to come. It has been a welcome rest, despite the ruined surroundings and the constant hooting of owlbears.
- During this time, Kaldur and Ian reconnoitered the area around the Village of Redwater disguised as a traveler and his wolf-dog. A new Jattelan sheriff has been appointed with a complement of soldiers. One night, Ian and Kaldur broke into the sheriff’s gaol and rooted through his messages.
- The sheriff is requesting more men. Three of his deputies were found murdered and drained of their blood while investigating Hammer Hall. It is said the ghost of Lynn Kodhammer haunts the hall. No one will go near the place. Ian forges a message and replaces it so that no troops will be sent. Kaldur sends a perfumed message to his baby-mama, Shilindria Jattelan in Scornubel.
- More time passes at Blackhill Motte. Margrave Kole Ryttermarg’s condition is getting worse. He sleeps much and is growing weak. When he is awake, he is a rambling lunatic. Brother Maynard approaches you one night and says that despite his considerable skill and Kaldur gathering healing herbs in the forest he will be gone in a matter of days without supernatural aid. He petitions you to bring Selona Caseldown from Hill’s Edge.
- While this meeting is taking place, a familiar yet changed voice chimes in from the darkness. Lynn Kodhammer steps in the firelight and says that Kole is beyond the aid of the gods of Selona and Maynard. Kole needs Woeden magic. Seeking a cure for her own malediction she found the Elderfeyne, the tree of life, deep in the woodland. It sits atop the Barrow of the High King, the first Woeden ruler that united the clans thousands of years ago. The roots of the Elderfeyne are said to possess miraculous healing powers. Lynn cannot enter the barrow as the guardian, a great Ent called the Shepherd, will not allow her kind to pass.
- You decide to follow Lynn. For close to two days you trek through the wilderness. At night you find the barrow. A massive ent, as tall as the tallest trees, approaches you. Kaldur says that he should be allowed past because he is a Woeden, to which the Shepherd agrees, as long as they pay tribute. Kaldur gives the gift of his own blood, Dorn the gift of water, Ian the gift of knowledge of Eberron, and Reif an Unguent of Timelessness.
- You pass through the threshold. All is not right in the darkness. What should be a holy peaceful place is overrun with powerful undead and aberrations from the Underdark. Strange treasures decorate the halls and bones shrouded in rags litter the floors. Kaldur dons a ring carrying a powerful curse and is filled with a murderous rage and attacks the party.
- You make your way through the winding, branching halls until you find a black pool. Suspended above it are the roots of a tree that are blighted and dying in the corrupted water. Dorn lashes out against the necrotic water with a blast of holy energy. The pool recoils like a wounded beast and you hear an ethereal shriek. The shriek is answered by echoing howls from the haunted tunnels. It has called for aid, and it has been answered.