Nightal 7-12, 1358 DR
Encounter 1: The Battle of Hluthvar
Encounter 2: 1 Mountain Troll guarding the entrance to Fortress of Ukisor
Map of Darkhold
- In the snow and cold you slog through the steepening foot hills of the Sunset Mountains. You approach a small village, small enough that it is not on your maps, that you learn is named Tridic. Passing through the open gate in the crude palisade and look up to see a set of broad elk antlers mounted on a pole, around which is wrapped a strip of ornate, red cloth. The heraldic symbol of this town, you guess. There are a dozen run down buildings behind the wall, and no one is about. You make your way to the long house in the center of town, sensing that you are being watched.
- You enter The Long Hall and find several peasants drinking in the tap room. They eye you warily. After a few drinks you learn that this town is fiercely loyal to House Tyrguard. House Tyrguard and House Liddelhauk had just recently won a great battle against House Sull and forced them back to Hluthvar. They did this with the help of the Zhents and lifted the siege of Darkhold.
- A soldier of House Tyrguard approaches the village. He is looking to recruit ten new conscripts. The army has suffered considerable loses lifting the siege of Darkhold. They will march for the town of Hluthvar where the combined forces of the Zhentarim and the north will expel House Sull once and for all.
- Ian confronts the soldier, saying that he and his companions will go instead of the conscripts, for they are worth ten times ten conscripts. The soldier is skeptical, but when Kaldur transforms out of his wolf form and you state that you are the Barons of the Woedland Wilds, he accepts. the villagers are awe struck. Dorn manages to leave with his virtue unchanged.
- Hluthvar is a large walled town and the seat of House Tyrguard. It is currently occupied by House Sull. The Zhents and the forces of the north are bombarding the city with great trebuchets and the Pereghost leads the great battering ram Karrack to break the main gate. You charge the gate as it breaks.
- You fight bravely and break their lines, rushing ahead of the main force and scale the walls of the keep. You fight your way to the throne room where Jarl Bard sits. You convince him to flee before the Zhents get there. He gives you a map of Darkhold and then you flee through a secret tunnel. You emerge through into an abandoned apothecary’s shop and leave town.
- You return to the village of Tridic and supply for your long, cold journey into the mountains. You climb through the mountains and come to the base of a massive glacier as a winter storm approaches. Ahead of you are a large number of strange, unfamiliar banners mounted on spears. You take shelter from the storm and are nearly buried alive. You survive and make your way across the treacherous glacier avoiding the impossibly deep crevasses until you find the entrance of the Fortress of Ukisor.
- The massive wooden gate, banded in brass stands slightly ajar. Next to the door is a wind chime hanging from an iron hook, tinkling in the gentle breeze. You move past it into the dark entrance hall. You are set upon by a massive troll, easily twice the size of any troll you’ve ever seen. It is a terrible foe, but you realize it is chained to the floor. You dodge past it and move into the halls beyond as it bellows after you.