Marpenoth 16-21, 1358 DR
Encounter 1: Two Ghasts (formerly Heywood and one of the Mask acolytes) in the hold of the Cornelia
Encounter 2: Goblin Raiders on the River Reaching
GAIN A FEAT!
Basic weapons and armor – from the Mask acolytes
- After three days travel up river, you find yourselves staring down a furious Captain Ratargan and his acolytes. Heywood Leafwind and a Mask acolyte are dead. Their bodies were found together in the hold. They must have killed each other over night and Ratargan is demanding an explanation.
- You investigate the scene. Heywood carried a knife, but she did not stab the acolyte. Both have defensive wounds on their hands and forearms. It looks like they were both killed by claws and teeth, not blades. Finally, you find faint remnants of bloody hand prints on the ceiling of the hold. Something attacked them both.
- You put the bodies of Heywood and the acolyte next to body of Lynn in the hold. You place arcane locks and traps and set watches for the night. You will be in Scornubel in the morning. Dorn can’t shake a uneasy feeling. There is an ominous presence on the ship.
- As the night wears on, Ian, having no need of sleep, stands guard over the locked hold. He hears the sound of someone crying down there. He investigates. It is Lynn and she is weeping. Her tears running over her pale skin and gaunt, stretched features. Blood stains her lips. “Ian!” she says. “What has become of me?” As Ian processes this he is attacked from behind by the undead bodies of Heywood and the acolyte. Lynn screams in horror at the sight of them.
- Hearing the screams the rest of the party and their followers rush to Ian’s aid. They quickly dispatch the ghasts and question Lynn about what happened. Salazzar did this to her!
- Dorn will not suffer this abomination. He lashes out with holy fury. Ian and Reif step in to shield her. She suffers a devastating attack but manages to change to mist and flee into the moonlit woodland on the far bank. Your argument about what took place is cut short by the sound of alarm from the deck. The ship is under attack! Goblin raiders!
- You find the deck embroiled in a pitched battle against a far more numerous force of goblins. The Masks will soon be overwhelmed. Reif unleashed terrible arcane power and reduces a great host of goblins to ash. Ian, Dorn and your companions fight them back, but more reinforcements are on the way. A comically oversized, sparking bomb is being piloted by two goblins in a war canoe toward the ship. Reif sets off the bomb before it can reach them, making certain that the goblins were witnessed riding into Valhalla, despite their mediocre performance. Shrapnel flies across the deck.
- Most of the crew is dead and more war canoes are coming. Stepping in to crew the ship you manage to pilot it through the treacherous waters and outpace the goblins. You arrive in Scornubel with the Cornelia still smoldering.
- In the predawn light, the dock is bustling. Jattelan soldiers fill the city as they prepare to march. Where, you do not know. You go ashore to rest and gather intelligence. The captain goes to hire a new crew. Ian, in disguise, makes his way toward a large encampment of Jattelan soldiers in the center of town. He manages to uncover their troop movements, forge fake dispatches to sow confusion, reroute a battalion away from Taendarval and poison one of Margrave Jattelan’s cousins, all before breakfast. An infiltrator warforged fulfilling its purpose.
- You meet back at the Red Giant Inn to plan your next move.