Nightal 29, 1358 DR
Encounter 1: Markuth Hilmaster the Wolflord, his retinue of Drow and Arrifax the Spider
Encounter 2: Veymar Black and his Five Dracoliches (Balariax, Ciraxis, Xavael, Victarinox and Hellix)
- GAIN A FEAT!
- Regain all items taken from you during session 34 (10)
- Markuth’s Skull
- 20 Hand crossbows
- 100 poisoned bolts
- 5000 gp
- Used last Heal potion
- The Horn of Veymar, the Claw of Boareskyr and the Fang of Ukisor are destroyed
- The drow continue their assault. Volley after volley of poison bolts rain down on you as you cut them down. They are trying to take King Liamund. As the battle rages a drow noble rides a massive spider into the midst of you and behind him is Markuth Hilmaster. He transforms into a massive wolflord as Dorn charges into him. After a bloody battle you are triumphant.
- After the battle you heal Liamund using the last of the water of the Elderfeyne. His enfeebled mind is restored to full strength. He brings you to the winding stair which goes all the way to the top of the utmost tower. You climb the steps.
- In the swirling snow you find Volhym chanting in a ritual circle. The cold stars above are dim compared to Kral-Katali, the King-Killer Star, blazing in the heavens. Circling around the tower in wide arcs are the five dracoliches that serve him. He welcomes you and thanks you for bringing him what he needs to complete the ritual. He holds the Horn of Veymar. He drops his magical guise and Volhym is transformed into his true form, the lich lord Veymar Black, the former Margrave of the North, thought long dead.
- “I am the Sword of Tyr.” he says. “My vengeance is nearly complete. The Vale will be plunged into the fire and forged anew. Give me the Raiment of the Dragonking or perish. Liamund will be sacrificed and the ritual of binding completed.”
- Kaldur answers. Grabbing the Fang and Claw, he leaps at Veymar carrying a massive barrel or gun powder provided by the priests of Gond. The artifacts glow brightly and small fissures form with the eldritch power coursing through them as they are brought close together. Kaldur’s fist bursts into flame as he smashes the barrel. There is a massive explosion. Kaldur has made the ultimate sacrifice and destroyed the artifacts.
- Veymar staggers under the attack. “no…” he says, rising to his feet as the crumbled ruin of the Horn of Veymar turns to ash in his skeletal hand. The dracoliches, no longer bound to Veymar, scatter to the four winds. Dorn and Ian charge. Veymar fights back. In the frozen air on that crumbling tower, the heroes of the Vale put an end to him.
- The Vale is saved.