Taureau Vilguerre, Sheriff of Redwater
Drey Guldrhein, Wizard of Greythorn
Jarem Highwall, The Kodhammer’s Seneschal
Tarvigal Splitvine, Braying Ass Innkeeper
Morn, Tarvigal’s servant, simpleton
Friar Aramar Blackroot, Friar of Ilmater
Mirtul 1st-2nd, 1358 DR.
Encounter 1: The forest phantom at the glade
Encounter 2: Goblins on the road (9 goblins)
GO UP A LEVEL! LEVEL 2!
30 gp and the promise of 20 gp more when they return from Greythorn Tower
3 Deciphered Scrolls
Scroll #1, in the possession of Davros
Read below the words of my sister, now deceased. She died in her sleep several weeks ago. She was not ill. I suspect the Zhents are behind her death. I am nearly overcome with grief. I was so fond of her music, none played the harp better than her.
These rumors of the Zhent’s involvement with the church of Bane are almost certainly true. I have followed some of there caravans north to Yellow Snake Pass. One of there masters, out of Darkhold I think, entered into a cave hidden in the pass. I went in after they left and I found a symbol on the floor in chalk, hastily wiped away, but I swear it was the outline of a hand. It smelled of dried blood. I consecrated the unholy place and left. I have been overwhelmed by a feeling of dread ever since and I believe I am being followed.
- Magra Caseldown
Scroll #2, in the possession of Davros
The Zhents involvement with the Church of Bane is only one among their many crimes. I have learned of a sinister plot that is close to the throne of the Vale. I dare not write of it, even in cypher, but if you want to meet with me leave a dagger in the palm of Torm’s hand at the shrine in Hill’s Edge during morning prayer. I will meet with you at the Clanking Tankard at dusk the day you do.
- Rose Thorn
Scroll #3, in the possession of Markuth
I hope this letter finds you well. News of your deeds in the Backlands have travelled all the way to Darkhold. Well done, but are you sure these new allies can be trusted? This Great Wolf has a formidable reputation. I assume you plan to test them before they are given a task of much worth.
My apprentice, Herondus Walgrave, is making his way west at speed. I fear he may reach you before this letter does. He speaks with my authority. See that he is well provisioned and guarded.
First the Darkness then the Light.
- Leave the sheriff’s gaol.
- Meet the innkeeper and the friar on the Village Green. Get rooms at The Braying Ass.
- Scolded by the friar for shooting Kreeg Stonegavel, told to come to the shrine to suffer with Ilmater.
- Learn that the sheriff is stretched thin. He must go to Hill’s Edge and he has sent his deputies to Vaggarguard, the Western Fortress, to request more men.
- Given a quest by the sheriff to deliver a message to Drey Guldrhein, Wizard of Greythorn Tower/ The sheriff wants his council regarding the Woeden.
- Meet Jarem Highwall, Seneschal of the Kodhammer’s. He is headed to Vaggarguard for his lord.
- Buy gear from a merchant’s wagon and set off on the South road to Greythorn Tower.
- Dorn keeps the group from getting lost in the snowy weather.
- Night falls and Kaldur takes first watch.
- During Kaldur’s watch he hears what turns out to be a bear and scares it away. When he returns to the camp he sees footprints by the horses. The horses reins have been cut and they are gone. In the distance he hears them.
- He sees an eerie light and goes out to investigate and recover the horses with Ian and Ahbinav.
- They come to a glade that glows with an ethereal light. A comely woman walks into the glade and vanishes in the center of it.
- The glade is filled with forest creatures, including three bears, and the horses.
- As soon as she vanishes, the glamoured animals return to normal and the bears attack.
- Kaldur sacrifices one of the horses to save the others and the group, the horses scatter into the forest.
- They break camp immediately and force march through the cold night.
- They are ambushed by goblins on the road. The characters quickly dispatch them. Ahbinav draws first blood by cutting two of the goblins in half with one blow.
- They arrive, exhausted and injured, at Greythorn tower where they meet the Wizard.
- He says that he needs some time to respond to the sheriff’s message and asks the characters to stay.
- He translates two of their coded messages and says he will translate the last if they will gather bones from the caverns under Blackhill Motte, the cursed ruin.