Drey Guldrhein, Wizard of Greythorn
Mirtul 3rd-7th, 1358 DR.
Encounter 1: The Spiders in the Woods (1 Large, 4 Small, 8 Tiny Spiders)
Encounter 2: The Cursed Dead (5 human warrior skeletons, 3 zombie wolfhounds)
Encounter 3: The Undead Assault (6 human warrior skeletons, 3 zombie wolfhounds)
Encounter 4: The Evil Menace (3 ghouls, 2 zombie wolfhounds, 1 Ghast (Morgar the Faithless))
- 240 gold pieces recovered from dead merchant and his guard (240 gp)
- masterwork longsword, a Cormyrean castleforged blade, formerly the merchant guard’s (315 gp)
- Fateweaver named by Ian Hu, Dagger+1, forged by the dwarven weaponsmiths of Abdar and inscribed with words of power by the elves of High Forest. Wrapped in a oiled cloth carried by the merchant (2302 gp)
- 2 large spider fangs (20 gp)
- large spider poison sac (200 gp)
- 500 gold pieces from an unknown mint in a purple velvet sack, payment from Drey Guldrhein for the shard from starfall crater (500 gp)
- 100 platinum pieces from ancient Netheril (1000 gp)
- cloth of gold vestments (180 gp)
- golden dragon comb with ruby eyes (500 gp)
- fire opal necklace (700 gp)
- 10 potions of cure light wounds (500 gp)
- 200 silver ingots, stamped with a sigil of a two headed eagle (1000 gp)
- Mithral Shirt, appears of elven make (1100 gp)
Scroll #4, in the possession of Markuth Hilmaster
The bells of Iraebor ring out, the time is almost at hand and you sit idle! We must know the plans of this Great Wolf. If you cannot deal with him then I will find someone who can. Send word as soon as you speak with him. My agent comes north as I write this. He should arrive shortly after Greengrass, depending on the snows. He will sew, then you will reap. Wait for word from our agents in the south.
The Sword Will Be Reforged.
-The Sword of Tyr
Questions and Answers from Drey’s Divining Pool regarding the stolen Kodhammer grain:
1. Is the grain at Blackhill Motte? No.
2. Do the Zhent’s possess the grain? No.
3. Is the grain located along the Dusk Road? Yes.
- The characters speak with Drey Guldrhein. He tells them about Blackhill Motte. Blackhill Motte was once the stronghold of a powerful noble family, the Blacks. 100 years ago, Lord Veymar Black, the Margave of the North, led a rebellion against the King. Lord Veymar’s northern allies along with a great host of Woeden crossed over from the West met King Liavald on the Shimmering Plain south of Hluthvar. They were vastly outnumbered but Lord Black and his men bravely charged. Lord Black, seeing the tide turn against him, blew an amber horn banded with gold that his men claimed had some eldritch power, but to his surprise no aid came. The rebellion ended that day; crushed and Lord Black was later put to death. On the day of his execution he cursed the skies saying a single word – “Balariax”. King Liavald the Cruel had Lord Black’s family hunted down and executed. Every manor, every castle, every stronghold was put to the torch. Since that day the Ryttermarg’s have been Margraves of the North. And Margrave Kole Ryttermarg holds the North from his seat of power at Hill’s Edge.
- Since the time of Lord Black’s failed rebellion Blackhill Motte has been a haunted place. Some curse lies over it and the dead do not find peace there.
- The characters rest or train on Drey Guldrhein’s enchanted lands around Greythorn Tower before setting out to explore Blackhill Motte.
- While training Kaldur hears the sound of horses in the distance and goes to investigate. Kaldur found three of the lost horses near the grounds of Greythorn Tower. Backtracking, he finds a clearing where one of the horses was driven away from the others, chased by a predator with strange tracks.
- Returning and gathering the party, they set out to recover the remaining horse. Before too long they happen upon a nest of spiders and are attacked. The queen spider, larger than a horse, is vanquished and her brood and webs burned.
- The characters recover the horse from the spider’s lair. In the lair they find the remains of a wealthy merchant and his bodyguard. The merchant was in the possession of a magical dagger, that Ian claimed and named Fateweaver.
- That evening they dine with Drey Guldrhein and they discuss many things. In private Ian inquires about his true nature which sadly Drey Guldrhein does not have much knowledge of. To find out more he purchases the shard from the star fall crater that Kaldur Cranblack took.
- As part of the bargain Kaldur negotiates for Drey Guldrhein to divine the location of Lord Kodhammer’s grain. Using his Communing Pool he allows the group to ask three questions of the spirits (see clues section of entry). It is located somewhere on the Old Dusk Road deep in the Reaching Woods.
- The character set out the next morning for Blackhill Motte. Not long after they leave Greythorn Tower they come upon the burned ruin. Using his power to detect evil, Ahbinav finds a secret entrance on the dais in the collapsed great hall. They descend into the dark and stench filled depths where they soon encounter an undead horror, skeletal warriors supported by their zombie war hounds.
- After fighting many battles against the undead, exploring, disarming many deadly traps and discovering the secrets of the dungeon and collecting many treasures they come upon Morgar the Faithless. In life he was a paladin of Torm but turned from his faith and in doing so cursed himself and Blackhill Motte. After a vicious, hard fought battle against the ghast and his allies the characters emerged victorious. Ahbinav and Dorn restore the desecrated altar to Torm and lift the curse.
- The characters return to Greythorn Tower and Drey Guldrhein is as good as his word and read them the last scroll (see clues section).
- The characters leave, setting off for Redwater Village. When they near town they hide from a heavily armed Zhent patrol that passes on horseback. As they approach Redwater they find that it has been turned into an armed camp by the Zhents.