Lynn Kodhammer, Lady of Hammer Hall
Tarvigal Splitvine, Innkeeper of the Braying Ass
Friar Aramar Blackroot, Friar of Ilmater
Markuth Hilmaster, Zhent Captain
Taureau Vilguerre, Sheriff of Redwater
Mirtul 8th, 1358 DR.
Encounter 1: Kaldur escapes from the sheriff.
- Ring of Protection + 1 (2000 gp)
- Masterwork Eberronian Dagger (302 gp)
- Blue and Purple Wizards Robes (100 gp)
- Ring of the Secret Order (1000 gp) (as Hat of Disguise, usable only by members of the secret order)
- Black and gold horn (30 gp) (only heard by Warforged)
- 10 Eberronian Platinum Pieces (100 gp)
- Kaldur paid for the dead horses (-300 gp)
- Kaldur used a healing potion (-50 gp)
- The characters continue their journey from Greythorn Tower to the Village of Redwater.
- When they are about four hours away Ian is almost incapacitated by a piercing sound that he hears from the nearby woodland. No one else can hear the sound.
- Compelled to go to the source of the noise, Ian staggers into the woods and discovers another crater. It has been swept clean by the Black Stag and his wolves. In a nearby hidden cave there is a small air elemental blowing on a horn that only Ian can hear. He is next to a freshly dead mage. As soon as the elemental sees Ian, it begins a read from a scroll.
- It reads and Ian finds himself reciting uncontrollably:
“You are warforged of House Cannith created at Forge Sharn to serve the King of Kaarnath as an agent in his secret order. Look upon this ring and know my words are true.
Your lord is before you, (air elemental points to the mage). Now with your brothers beside you, recite the tenets of the secret order.”
1. Protect the Life Of The King Even If You Must Sacrifice Your Own Life
2. Execute The Commands Of Your Lord Truly And Faithfully
3. Never Harm Your Brothers, Or Through Inaction, Allow Harm To Come To Them
4. Never Reveal The Existence Of The Order To Anyone But Your Brothers
5. None But Your Brothers Can Know Of Your Deeds For The Order
6. Slay Those Who Slay The Innocent
7. Never Slay An Innocent, You Must Know Their Guilt
8. Learn The Secrets Of Our Enemies
“You will follow these tenets until your lord or the king releases you. The binding is complete. The order will know you by your ghulra. Put on the ring of the secret order. Go to your lord for he surely has need of you.”
- After this the scroll bursts into flames and the air elemental dissipates.
- The air elemental is next to the body of its former master, a mage and crewmen of the vessel that Ian fell from.
- Because Ian has been bound to a dead lord, he is free except for the code which only the king can release him from.
- The characters continue on their way to Redwater and only an hour or so out of town they get the feeling they are being watched.
- A filthy boy with a spear is stalking them from the trees. Ian gets the drop on him and finds more children in the forest. The situation escalates until, to their surprise, Lynn Kodhammer appears.
- She confesses that the children stole the grain and that she helped them to do it. The children are starving and sickly orphans from the King’s last crusade. They live wild in the woods and have established a small community out there.
- Lynn reveals that she is known by the alias Rose Thorn and that she is a Harper agent who sent the message to Ser Davros.
- Lynn knows that there is a zhent spy in the court of King Liamund. The Harpers caught a group of Zhent agents travelling north on the road to Darkhold from Hluthvar. They were looking for vengeance for Magra’s death and put them to the question. The spy is highborn and powerful and is responsible for putting the idea of the crusade into the King’s head. The zhent they captured died before he gave up a name. They sent word to the King but they have not heard from any of the riders they dispatched. The King’s crusade leaves the realm weakened. Are the Zhents planning to invade? Surely not, they could not hope to conquer the Vale, not on their own. They have a great garrison at Darkhold, and the Zhents are well trained, but they number a 1000, not enough to invade.
- The characters tell Lynn that Markuth has been forging an alliance with a Woeden chief called the Great Wolf, that Kaldur knows by the name Lowwyr. He has been uniting the great clans. Lynn is very concerned by this information and says they must get word to the Stronghold of Vaggarguard.
- The characters learn that Markuth Hilmaster has come to Redwater with 30 Zhent soldiers and a Writ of Justice to hunt down the murderers that killed 6 people during the festival of Greengrass in Hill’s Edge. The suspected killers are Ahbinav and Dorn Marsk. Markuth has taken up residence in Hammer Hall.
- The characters come up with a risky plan to assault Markuth and his men. They have Lynn unlock a secret door to the manor.
- Kaldur and Ian go into town and are stopped by the innkeeper, who tearfully learns that two of horses are dead. Kaldur pays him.
- Kaldur and Ian go to the Friar’s temple and borrow his wagon. While they are leaving, the simpleton Morn comes to pray and Kaldur questions him.
- Kaldur decides to go to the inn while Ian returns to the group on the outskirts of town with the wagon.
- Kaldur enters the inn and encounters the sheriff and five Zhents. The sheriff tries to arrest Kaldur and nearly kills him as Kaldur dives through the wall of the inn and escapes.
- The characters regroup and make their way to Hammer Hall. Ian disguises himself as the Friar and distracts the guards while the rest of the group goes into the house through the secret door.
- Markuth comes to the door to speak with friar Ian while the rest of the group moves in for the kill.