Mirtul 9th-13th, 1358 DR.
Encounter 1: 4 Zhent Soldiers (Bugbears), one with Masterwork Warhammer and Haste Scroll.
- Arrive at Hill’s Edge. Subject to minor scrutiny by the city guards.
- Go to the Cry of Joy Temple. Find that Selona is missing. One of Selona’s acolytes, Vistana confides in the characters that she believes that Selona has been abducted by the Zhents. She disappeared from her bed chamber during the night two days ago. She writes them a letter of introduction to meet with Lord Liddelhauk if they promise to try and find her.
- The characters learn that Kole Ryttermarg is marching south on the great crusade. Lord Gedron Liddelhauk is in charge while he is away. They learn Lord Liddelhauk is out hunting with young Master Havel Ryttermarg and his sons for his eldest’s birthday. He plans to return tomorrow.
- Playing it safe, the characters decide to spend the night at the Cry of Joy temple rather than at a crowded inn. Before nightfall they investigate Selona Caseldown’s bedchamber and find telltale signs that someone entered through her second story arrow slit of a window. The find subtle signs of a struggle (blood droplets).
- As they sleep that night, Kaldur hears dogs barking and suspects that someone may be coming. He is correct, the Zhents are demanding to be let in and when they are refused, they batter the door down, defying the right of sanctuary.
- The characters dispatch the Zhents. Vistana is distraught by everything that has happened in the last few days.
- The city watch arrives after all the fighting and asks for the characters to appear before Lord Gedron.
- In the pre-dawn hours, they meet in the court of Castle Hesten. The halfling lord Gedron has received a letter from Baron Kodhammer asking for the characters to be knighted. It goes on to say Markuth is a traitor to the crown. Lord Liddelhauk, not sure what to make of this, consults with a priest of Helm named Endrey who recently arrived from Iriaebor. He says that one good deed does not undo the bad. “I may never know the truth of what transpired on Greengrass but I have a way to settle it. We will let fate and your own skill at arms decide. There is a many headed demon that stalks the countryside, its lair is somewhere in the mines near Hill’s Edge. Bring me proof you slayed it. If you rid Hill’s Edge of this evil then the slate will be wiped clean and you shall be knighted as Lord Kodhammer wills. Else, you can pay 500 gp in weregild for every man you slayed.”
- The characters leave to find the beast and end up in a grove of trees obscuring a rocky outcropping where a cave-in has recently occurred.